The Roman Catholic Diocese of Phoenix
400 East Monroe
5 de Mayo, 2013
Our intention of moving deliberately out of the age of colonialism and towards decolonization, called upon us to define and determine for ourselves as "Peoples, equal to all other Peoples" the criteria of fundamental processes required to guide this vision of our political, economic, cultural, and spiritual liberation from the schema of domination which has been normalized by Christendom and justified by the Doctrine of Discovery for over five hundred and twenty years in this continent of Abya Yala [the Americas].
The report of the Forum in Arizona was presented in May of 2012 to the 11th Session of the United Nations Permanent Forum on Indigenous Issues in New York. Two recommendations from this session of the UNPFII are especially pertinent to this communiqué:
In consequence and in implementation of the above recommendation from the UN Permanent Forum on Indigenous Issues, we convened at Arizona State University West on April 19-20, 2013, an International Conference organized under the theme of DISMANTLING the Doctrine of Discovery. Co-conveners of this International conference were TONATIERRA, Maya Vision, Centro Cultural Techantit, Instituto de Ciencia y Cultura Indigena (ICCI) of Ecuador, and Universidad Amawtay Wasi also of Ecuador. The event was hosted by the Social Justice and Human Rights Program at ASU West.
- 2010 UN Preliminary Study on the Impact of the Doctrine of Discovery.
- 2007 UN Declaration on the Rights of Indigenous Peoples
- Papal Bull Inter Caetera of 1493
- El Requierimiento of 1513
- ANASAZI: Spring 1984 Letter to Pope John Paul II
- May 30, 1984 Response: Vatican Secretary of State
- February 7, 2012 Memorandum to the US Justice Department
- March 14, 2013 Article: “Usurped” - Cardinal Bergoglio and the 30th Anniversary of the War over the Malvinas/Falklands Island between Great Britain and Argentina.
Tupac Enrique Acosta, Yaotachcauh
2010 UNPFII Preliminary Study on the Impact of the Doctrine of Discovery
2007 UN Declaration on the Rights of Indigenous Peoples
1493 Papal Bull Inter Caetera
1513 El Requierimiento
1984 ANASAZI Letter to Pope John Paul II
1984 Letter of Response : Vatican Secretary of State
2012 Memorandum to US Department of Justice
2013 Catholic Herald: "Usurped" Malvinas-Falkland Islands